Exposure to tung oil has been implicated as a potential trigger for the development of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). While not considered a major cause of the illness, it is believed that tung oil exposure may be the cause of some individual cases.
Tung oil, also known as China wood oil, is a drying oil extracted from the nut of the tung tree. It is commonly used as a wood finisher for furniture and other products, as well as on stone surfaces such as granite or marble.
Theory[edit | edit source]
- Dr Paul Cheney has said that tung oil may reactivate the mono virus that is latent in 90-percent of adults.
- Richard Van Konynenburg describes tung oil as a toxin that can conjugate glutathione and remove it from the body.
- Dr Jay Goldstein has noted that many of his ME/CFS patients became ill after exposure to tung oil. He has theorised that inhaled tung oil may cause CFS through overstimulation of Protein kinase C.
Evidence[edit | edit source]
- Tung oil is known to potently reactivate Epstein-Barr virus. The phorbol ester HHPA in tung oil reactivates EBV.
- Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection.
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Castle, Khaly (Sep 8, 2015). "CFS–The "Invisibled" Disease". CFS Untied. Retrieved Feb 4, 2020.
- "Is Glutathione Depletion an Important Part of the Pathogenesis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? by Richard Van Konynenburg (Independent Researcher)". Phoenix Rising. Retrieved Feb 4, 2020.
- "The CFIDS Chronicle Physicians' Forum Fall 1993". web.archive.org. Apr 13, 2012. Retrieved Feb 4, 2020.
- Betrayal by the Brain: The Neurologic Basis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia Syndrome, and Related Neural Network Disorders, pp 126-7. Jay Goldstein. Routledge, 2013
- "The Telegraph - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved Feb 4, 2020.
- "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome — A Roadmap For Testing And Treatment". sites.google.com. Retrieved Feb 4, 2020.
- Jones, J F; Straus, S E (1987). "Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection". Annual Review of Medicine. 38 (1): 195–209. doi:10.1146/annurev.me.38.020187.001211. PMID 3034134.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.