Central nervous system
Disease involvement in ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
Autopsy[edit | edit source]
ME/CFS patient autopsies have shown changes to the spinal cord.
- Sophia Mirza's autopsy showed her spine contained massive infection.
- Lynn Gilderdale had ganglionitis which is an infection of dorsal root ganglia of her spine, typical for a neurological illness.
- Merryn Crofts's autopsy showed she had ganglionitis.
Brain imaging[edit | edit source]
- 2019, Evidence of widespread metabolite abnormalities in Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: assessment with whole-brain magnetic resonance spectroscopy
Cytokines[edit | edit source]
Cytokines, found in spinal fluid, are increasingly found to be altered in ME/CFS patients and there are several studies by Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig with the Microbe Discovery Project. See: Cytokine (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome section)
Neuropathological findings[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Vertebral column (Spine)
- Dorsal root ganglia
- Jose Montoya
- Parasympathetic nervous system
- Post-mortem brain studies
- Melvin Ramsay
- Stanford ME/CFS Initiative
References[edit | edit source]
- "Image: Central nervous system Facts for Kids". kids.kiddle.co. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- "Overview of the Nervous System - Brain, Spinal Cord, and Nerve Disorders - MSD Manual Consumer Version". MSD Manual Consumer Version. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- "Scientists create new map of brain's immune system". ScienceDaily. February 19, 2019. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- "Brain immune system is key to recovery from motor neuron degeneration: Results in study point to new approaches for ALS therapy". ScienceDaily. February 20, 2018. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- "An interconnection between the nervous and immune system: Neuroendocrine reflex triggers infections". ScienceDaily. September 29, 2017. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- "The Story of Sophia and M.E." Invest in ME Research. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- "Neuropathological Report". sophiaandme.org.uk. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- Speedy, Dr (April 16, 2011). "THE NICEGUIDELINES BLOG: Lynn Gilderdale's autopsy showed 'dorsal root ganglionitis' - infected nerve roots, just like Sophia Mirza's". THE NICEGUIDELINES BLOG. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Gilderdale, Kay (April 14, 2011). One Last Goodbye: Sometimes only a mother's love can help end the pain. Ebury Press. ISBN 9780091939144.
- "talkhealth forums - dorsal root ganglionitis". talkhealthpartnership.com. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Tillman, Adriane (May 19, 2018). "Inquest Rules Merryn Crofts Died Due to Severe ME | #MEAction". The MEAction Network. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Ferrero, Kimberly; Silver, Mitchell; Cocchetto, Alan; Masliah, Eliezer; Langford, Dianne (April 5, 2017). "CNS findings in chronic fatigue syndrome and a neuropathological case report". Journal of Investigative Medicine: jim–2016–000390. doi:10.1136/jim-2016-000390. ISSN 1081-5589. PMID 28386034.
- "2-Minute Neuroscience: Divisions of the Nervous System". YouTube. Neuroscientifically Challenged. August 8, 2014.
- "Central Nervous System". blausen.com. November 25, 2015. Retrieved August 16, 2018.