Charles Bernard Shepherd, MB, BS, is the Honorary Medical Adviser to the ME Association, a patient charity in London, United Kingdom and the co-author with Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri of ME/CFS/PVFS: An Exploration of Key Clinical Issues, also known as The Purple Book, a health professional's guidebook published by the ME Association. He was on the Steering Committee of the National ME Observatory, a collaborative research project in the UK. His special interest in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) stems from having developed the illness in his twenties after a bout of chickenpox.
London criteria[edit | edit source]
Shepherd ME/CFS Disability Scale[edit | edit source]
Books[edit | edit source]
- 1999, Living with ME, a guidebook for patients.
- 2016, ME/CFS/PVFS: An Exploration of Key Clinical Issues, co-authored with Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri, updated edition. Referred to as "MEA's Purple Booklet," the book was originally published in 2001 and periodically updated to be used as a resource for health professionals.
Open Letter to The Lancet[edit | edit source]
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Shepherd, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- Feb 10, 2016, An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
Response to Institute of Medicine report[edit | edit source]
Media coverage about Dr Shepherd[edit | edit source]
- 2003, Bitter Row engulfs ME Association
- 2003, Head of ME association is sacked with correction, The BMJ
Talks, interviews and news articles[edit | edit source]
- 2015, It’s time for doctors to apologise to their ME patients
Excerpt: " Opening the 2015 research collaborative section of neuropathology, Jose Montoya, professor of medicine at the University of Stanford, said: “I have a wish and a dream that medical and scientific societies will apologise to their ME patients." I agree – the time has come for doctors and scientists to apologise for the very neglectful way in which ME has been researched and treated over the past 60 years. Doctors need to start listening to their patients and there must now be increased investment in biomedical research to gain a better understanding of the disease process and to develop treatments that these patients desperately need." (Telegraph, UK, 7 Dec 2015)
- 2016, Dr. Shepherd and Patient Ginger @1:10 (BBC Radio London - Jo Good, UK, 8 Aug 2016)
- May 14, 2018, Interviewed on The ME Show podcast by Gary Burgess about his own experience of ME and current medical research. Episode link
- Jan 28, 2019, Interviewed on The ME Show podcast by Gary Burgess about the latest developments in ME research. - Episode link
Pace trial critiques[edit | edit source]
- 9 Apr 2017 - PACE trial claims for recovery in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome – true or false? It’s time for an independent review of the methodology and results - (Full Text)
Short web seminars by Science to patients / wetenschap voor patienten, English spoken, nederlands ondertiteld[edit | edit source]
- 2014, 35. Introduction experience with ME / introductie ervaring met ME - Dr. Charles Shepherd
- 2014, 36. What is the difference between ME and CFS/ME? / Wat is het verschil tussen ME en CVS/ME? - Dr. Charles Shepherd
- 2014, 37. How is ME diagnosed? / Hoe wordt ME gediagnosticeed? - Dr. Charles Shepherd
- 2014, 38. ME and it's triggers / uUitlokkende factoren en ME - Dr. Charles Shephard
- 2014, 39. ME, exercise and the mitochondria / ME, inspanning en de mitochondrien - Dr. Charles Shepherd
- 2014, 40. ME and possible treatments / ME en mogelijke behandelingen - Dr. Charles Shepherd
- 2014, 41. Promising discoveries and research / veelbelovende behandelingen en onderzoe - Dr. Charles Shepherd
- 2014, 42. State of affairs regarding ME/ Stand van zaken betreffende ME - Dr. Charles Shepherd
Online presence[edit | edit source]
- Facebook - ME Association
- Dr Charles Shepherd on the ME Association website
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Purple Book – 2019 edition!". Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Disclosure by AfME of composition of National ME Observatory Steering and Management Groups". ME agenda. October 29, 2008. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "Dr Charles Shepherd". talkhealthpartnership.com. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- ME: The Toxic Tiredness (Part 1), retrieved September 10, 2019
- Dowsett, EG; Goudsmit, E; Macintyre, A; Shepherd, C (1994). London criteria for M.E., Report from The National Task Force on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS), Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). Westcare. pp. 96–98.
- "ME/CFS Medical Update (Layman's version) Winter 2001". axfordsabode.org.uk. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Shepherd, Charles (1999). Living with M.E.: The Chronic/post-viral Fatigue Syndrome. London: Vermilion.
- Shepherd, Dr Charles (December 7, 2015). "It's time for doctors to apologise to their ME patients". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- "The ME Show with Gary Burgess - Charles Shepherd". buzzsprout.com. May 14, 2018.
- "The ME Show with Gary Burgess - Dr Charles Shepherd". buzzsprout.com. January 28, 2019.
- Shepherd, Charles Bernard (August 2017). "PACE trial claims for recovery in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome – true or false? It's time for an independent review of the methodology and results". Journal of Health Psychology. 22 (9): 1187–1191. doi:10.1177/1359105317703786. ISSN 1359-1053.