(Redirected from Joint pain)
Arthralgia is the medical term for joint pain.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- 1995, Katrina Berne, PhD, reported a prevalence of 65-95% for muscle and/or joint pain, neck pain.
- 2001, In a Belgian study, 73.3% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 77.1% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported sore throat.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, pain is a required criteria for diagnosis. It requires that "there is a significant degree of myalgia. Pain can be experienced in the muscles, and/or joints, and is often widespread and migratory in nature. Often there are significant headaches of new type, pattern or severity."
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of multi-joint pain without swelling or redness can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, migratory arthralgia without joint swelling or redness is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria.
Research studies[edit | edit source]
- 2002, Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection - (Abstract)
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Berne, Katrina (Dec 1, 1995), Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS), 2nd ed., Hunter House, p. 58, ISBN 978-0897931915
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS
- Kerr, Jonathan R.; Bracewell, Janice; Laing, Ian; Mattey, Derek L.; Bernstein, Robert M.; Bruce, Ian N.; Tyrrell, David A. J. (Mar 2002). "Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection". The Journal of Rheumatology. 29 (3): 595–602. ISSN 0315-162X. PMID 11911112.