Evelina Shikova, MD, PhD, also known as Evelina Shikova-Lekova, Department of Virology, National Center of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases (NCIPD), Bulgaria.
EUROMENE[edit | edit source]
Dr. Evelina Shikova-Lekova is a member of the Biomarkers Working Group and the Working Group on conferences, seminars, training schools, and Short-Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) to increase capacity in ME/CFS research, and improve career pathways for ME/CFS researchers across Europe on behalf of EUROMENE, a European Union COST Action CA15111 not-for-profit research organization investigating the cause and treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2017, The European ME/CFS Biomarker Landscape project: an initiative of the European network EUROMENE(Full Text)
- 2018, Prevalence and incidence of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in Europe—the Euro-epiME study from the European network EUROMENE: a protocol for a systematic review(Full text)
- 2018, Chronic viral infections in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)(Full text)
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Scheibenbogen, Carmen; Freitag, Helma; Blanco, Julià; Capelli, Enrica; Lacerda, Eliana; Authier, Jerome; Meeus, Mira; Castro Marrero, Jesus; Nora-Krukle, Zaiga; Oltra, Elisa; Strand, Elin Bolle; Shikova, Evelina; Sekulic, Slobodan; Murovska, Modra (Jul 26, 2017). "The European ME/CFS Biomarker Landscape project: an initiative of the European network EUROMENE". Journal of Translational Medicine. 15 (1). doi:10.1186/s12967-017-1263-z. ISSN 1479-5876. PMC . PMID 28747192.
- Estévez-López, Fernando; Castro-Marrero, Jesus; Wang, Xia; Bakken, Inger Johanne; Ivanovs, Andrejs; Nacul, Luis; Sepúlveda, Nuno; Strand, Elin B.; Pheby, Derek; Alegre, José; Scheibenbogen, Carmen; Shikova, Evelina; Lorusso, Lorenzo; Capelli, Enrica; Sekulic, Slobodan; Lacerda, Eliana; Murovska, Modra (Sep 1, 2018). "Prevalence and incidence of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in Europe—the Euro-epiME study from the European network EUROMENE: a protocol for a systematic review". BMJ Open. 8 (9): e020817. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-020817. ISSN 2044-6055. PMID 30181183.
- Rasa, Santa; Nora-Krukle, Zaiga; Henning, Nina; Eliassen, Eva; Shikova, Evelina; Harrer, Thomas; Scheibenbogen, Carmen; Murovska, Modra; Prusty, Bhupesh K.; European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE) (Oct 1, 2018). "Chronic viral infections in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)". Journal of Translational Medicine. 16 (1). doi:10.1186/s12967-018-1644-y. ISSN 1479-5876. PMID 30285773.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.