Memory problems in myalgic encephalomyelitis can be very disabling. Mental fatigue makes memory problems worse but does not account for all memory deficiencies in people with ME/CFS. A 2006 study by the CDC found that patients with CFS and high complaints of mental fatigue exhibited significant impairment in working memory.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- In a 2001 Belgian study, 85.6% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 89.3% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported memory problems.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, impairment of concentration and short-term memory consolidation is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Neurological/Cognitive Manifestations.
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of substantial impairment in short-term memory can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, forgetfulness is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria - Neuropsychologic Complaints.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2006, Cognitive dysfunction relates to subjective report of mental fatigue in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome(Full text)
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Jun 4, 2018, Victory For ME Disability Claim – U.S. Court Upholds Plaintiff's Lawsuit After Being Denied Disability
- Brian Vastag was able to prove with qEEG and cognitive tests he had "significant problems with visual perception and analysis, scanning speed, attention, visual motor coordination, motor and mental speed, memory, and verbal fluency" winning his long term disability (LTD) claim.
References[edit | edit source]
- Capuron, Lucile; Welberg, Leonie; Heim, Christine; Wagner, Dieter; Solomon, Laura; Papanicolaou, Dimitris A; Craddock, R Cameron; Miller, Andrew H; Reeves, William C (2006), "Cognitive Dysfunction Relates to Subjective Report of Mental Fatigue in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", Neuropsychopharmacology, 31: 1777–1784, doi:10.1038/sj.npp.1301005
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- "Fukuda (1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)". www.cfids-me.org. Retrieved Aug 10, 2018.
- "Holmes Definition of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, U.S. CDC 1988". www.cfids-me.org. Retrieved Aug 10, 2018.
- Tillman, Adriane (Jun 4, 2018). "Victory for ME Disability Claim - U.S. Court Upholds Plaintiff's Lawsuit After Being Denied Disability". #MEAction. Retrieved Feb 2, 2019.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.